The fire involved a Greater Cambridge Shared Waste refuse collection vehicle that was collecting black bin waste.

The cause of the fire is believed to have been batteries which were placed inside a black wheelie bin. When batteries are put into a wheelie bin, they can split when mixed and compacted with other waste or recycling, which can cause a fire.

The head of Greater Cambridge Shared Waste, Bode Esan, said: ‘We’re grateful to Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service and Cambridgeshire Police for their quick response to this fire. I’m pleased that nobody was hurt but this is a reminder about why it is so important batteries aren’t put inside wheelie bins. They can cause fires like this in our collection vehicles.’

Mr Esan continued: ‘Even if they don’t cause a fire in one of our vehicles, which can put it out of action for some time and disrupt our collections, batteries put inside wheelie bins will end-up in landfill. Once there, they will leak out toxic chemicals which can be harmful to people and wildlife. I’d also encourage residents to consider buying rechargeable batteries as modern ones hold their charge much better than was previously the case and can be charged more quickly.’