The CIWM Annual Conference & Exhibition is the world's largest annual event dedicated to waste management. The Exhibition is the established showcase for the waste management industry, attracting over 370 companies from the UK and overseas.
Once again the CIWM Exhibition features over 370 leading manufacturers and service providers promoting their latest waste management products and services. Located on five linked sites occupying 31,000m2, it provides an ideal opportunity to promote waste management products/services to over 6,000 visitors. This ensures that the CIWM Exhibition remains the largest showcase for waste management in the UK (6,514 waste professionals attended the event in 2004). In fact, it's so large that the exhibition comprises five linked sites - North Green, South Green, Preston Green, Middle Green and Torbay Park Internal.
Conference & Exhibition data
Exhibition opening hours are as follows:
Tuesday, 14th June 0930 - 1730hrs
Wednesday 15th June 0930 - 1730hrs
Thursday 16th June 0930 - 1600hrs
Alongside the exhibition, the 4-day CIWM Annual Conference draws in delegates from around the world to discuss the key issues in waste management today at a variety of conference and workshop sessions. It features over 70 leading industry speakers from the UK and overseas and attracts more than 500 delegates. Full details can be obtained by e-mail from: email@example.com
LAPV looks at some of the companies especially involved with the local authority waste management & transport sector. Here are the ones who supplied us with their details before we went to press:
* ABRO FLEET SERVICES [M32] has been successfully targeting public sector customers with a range of services based on core competencies such as vehicle maintenance. One of ABRO's core capabilities is the overhaul and remanufacture of vehicles, extending platform life at highly competitive prices. ABRO currently operates mobile support teams extending geographic coverage from its 10 strategically-located sites throughout the UK.
* APPLIED SWEEPERS [M35] will display its popular urban street sweeper range. The 525 Green Machine from Applied Sweepers features no controls rods and few cables running back and forth. Possessing a highly intelligent electronic control system, it also has an anti-surge control which enables it to climb the kerb safely.
* ARRIVA VEHICLE RENTAL [M45] will show its successful Fleet Management product - Tasc - and the customer information and booking facility - ArrivaClick. Click is said to offer unprecedented levels of clarity of information and booking ease and is tailored to customer specific requirements, truly adding value to Tasc customers.
* ATS EUROMASTER [N42] is a tyre distributor and supplier of all manufacturing brands of tyres and wheels for local authorities and industry. ATS will be demonstrating two tyre management systems, Euromaster Inspector and its accompanying Euromaster Reporter software solutions.
* BANDVULC TYRES LTD [N9] is one of Europe's leading manufacturers of re-treaded truck tyres will be showcasing Bandvulc Tyre Contracts (BTC) - its total tyre management system - at this year's show, having committed £1/4 million to create a second generation, semi-intelligent reporting software system that gives customers real-time information over the internet. The BDE1, 225/75R17.5 bead to bead remould will also be featured as will Bandvulc's Wastemaster tyre. More info? Visit www.bandvulc.co.uk
* BRITAX PMG LIMITED [N29] is a leading supplier of mandatory vehicle lighting, mirrors, electrical equipment and hazard warning beacons will show its extended product range, including LED lighting.
* CITROEN UK LTD [M39] will be promoting vehicle developments such as the C15 Champ, Xsara Enterprise, Berlingo, Dispatch and New Look Relay vans. Recent models include an Advanced Minibus and a Tipmaster bodied tipper. More information? Visit: www.citroen.co.uk
* DEL EQUIPMENT (UK) LTD [ N8] - a market leader of column tailifts for 3.5 Tonne vehicles, the company will be launching a new Dump Thru lift for tipper applications. The new lift has been purposely designed to provide users with easy operation plus offering transport managers with a reliable yet ultra lightweight lift to maximise vehicle payload. More info? www.centralweighing.co.uk
* DOUGLAS EQUIPMENT LTD [M6] makes the Douglas Elgin Whirlwind MV truck mounted sweeper, now manufactured in the UK by Douglas Equipment. The Whirlwind MV is said to offer very low cost of ownership and advanced ground coverage rates utilising its powerful turbo-charged auxiliary engine and simultaneous dual gutter brush, sweeping at up to 10mph.
* ECON ENGINEERING [M64] is the UK's leading manufacturer of winter and multi-purpose highway maintenance equipment. One of its most recent developments is the Smoothflow spreader which is fitted with Econ's new Spargo in-cab control box with a joystick allowing finger tip control of the operational menu, the discharge rate and the snowplough.
* EUROMEC [M38] - one of Euromec's best known unit is the Azura 2 compact street sweeping vehicle which can carry up to two cubic metres of waste before it needs emptying - this means that local authorities can deploy vehicles at increased distances from the main depot. Also from Euromec is the Aquazura urban vacuum scrubber which comes with a detergent pump to lift greasy deposits and restore the appearance of the surface.
* FARID MUNICIPAL VEHICLES LTD [N63], part of FEG S.A., is the UK arm of the Farid Group, based in Arundel, West Sussex. It is best known for producing a wide variety of RCVs and related vehicles including the Minimatic, the T1 & T2, the Super Titan, the Tevieco Tanker, and the front-end loader.
* FORD MOTOR COMPANY [M19] - in association with Ricardo UK, Valeo SA and Gates Corporation - will release details of a joint project, called HyTrans, which demonstrates affordable technology for a 'feasible micro-hybrid diesel van'. Based on a Ford Transit, the HyTrans research vehicle and Europe's first micro-hybrid diesel delivery van, showed a 21% fuel saving. Products previously shown by the company include the T-Body Ranger, a Transit School Bus and a Transit Connect Tourneo accessible vehicle.
* GILBARCO VEEDER-ROOT [T19] provides a broad range of point-of-sale and merchandising systems and a full line of state-of-the-art, PC-based site management systems and fuel dispensers. Gilbarco's Fuel Management Service (FMS), is said to be 'a fuel manager's dream come true'. The fleet manager decides what the fuel management needs are and then simply tailors a fuel management program by selecting the specific service modules required.
* GLASDON UK LTD's [M24] Retriever 50 will be at the forefront of the company's range of waste management products. With its mainbrace stainless steel backbone providing durability and strength, the Retriever 50 allows for easy on-site replacement and maintenance of the bin body or hood. More info? www.glasdon.com
* GOODYEAR DUNLOP TYRES UK LTD [N7] is offering fleet managers a one-stop-shop for all tyre management needs with its 'Truck Force service network' which supplies and services Dunlop fleet customers. On show will be its renowned retreads, including the 'Unicircle' concept, the Dunlop SP841 tyre for on and offroad use and the Goodyear Refusemaster. More information? Visit: www.goodyear.co.uk or www.dunloptyres.co.uk
* GULLIVER'S MUNICIPAL HIRE SERVICES [M33] will feature the latest additions to its fleet: RCVs, recyclers, sweepers and skiploaders all maintained in Gulliver's own workshops. Gulliver's moved into the municipal market some three years ago - a national hotline means they can now fulfil hire requirements anywhere at a single call. For more information call 0870 850 9990, or visit: www.gullivers.co.uk
* HAKO [Middle Green: M20] is a manufacturer of urban street cleansing vehicles such as the mini-compact sweeper, the Citymaster 90, designed for precinct and town centre locations. While this particular unit has half the capacity of the Citymaster 300 launched in 2001 - 120 litres compared with 240 - the suction of the 90 far exceeds any other vacuum sweeper of its size, says the company.
* HANKOOK TYRES [ Middle Green: M68]: in 1990, ASA, the new subsidiary of HANKOOK Tire Co., Ltd (ranked No. 10 worldwide in the tire industry with 50 years of manufacturing experience) started its quality alloy wheel business under technical cooperation agreement with BBS Germany, a world-renowned quality manufacturer. Its current quality standard was established by ASA's engineers to reach that of BBS. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: http://www.asaalloywheel.com
* INCOMOL LTD [North Green: N34] is a member of the Mol Group of Companies which manufactures a larger range of refuse collection vehicles, with established markets throughout Europe, the Middle East and China. Inco-Mol workshops and head office at Clay Cross Chesterfield have an experienced management and engineering workforce which has been building refuse collection vehicles for over 26 years.
* ISUZU TRUCK (UK) LTD [North Green: N24] is best known for supplying its 'Grafter' trucks, based on the proven NKR model, to local authority users. Said to be the hardest working, most reliable 3.5 tonne truck on the market, the 3.5 tonne, 4x2 rigid 'Grafter' comes with an all-steel tipper body with either single or twin rear wheels, or as a dropside body with aluminium sides and single rear wheels. A number of models will be on display at CIWM 2005.
* IVECO [North Green: N29] shows off its latest vehicle for local authority use. In previous years Iveco has showcased a range of CNG-powered LCVs; the vehicles had GVWs from 3,500kg through to 5,000kg, and a choice of either 3.300mm or 4.350mm in length and included the CNG-powered Iveco Daily 35C11/GV 3.5 tonner.
* JCB [Middle Green - M40] is promoting the 456 Wastemaster wheeled loading shovel and the JCB Loadall 540- 70 Wastemaster - a telescopic handler purpose designed for waste transfer, MRF and civic amenity site applications. CIWM 2004 saw the JCB 3.5 tonne Teletruk on display. This range now features a new 'slimline' telescopic boom design - 15 per cent slimmer, in fact - to give the operator a better view of fork tips.
* JC DECAUX UK LTD [Middle Green: M22] - this is name you see everywhere. Established in 1964 in France, the company is a world-leader in outdoor advertising and has the exclusive or dominant contracts in the major cities and key conurbations right across the UK. JC Decaux products can be seen in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Plymouth, Hull, Bradford, Sheffield, Nottingham, Stoke and many other towns and cities covering the main hubs across the country.
* JOHNSTON SWEEPERS LTD [N17] is probably best known for its VT Range pure vacuum sweeper, a direct descendant of the world's first vacuum sweeper built by Johnston. To date, there are more than 12,000 of these machines in service throughout the world. Johnston Sweepers and Madvac were awarded a major new contract from Onyx Westminster to supply 55 road and pedestrian sweepers, in a deal worth over £1.5m
Onyx is using various machines from Johnston's range, including truck mounted 605 Series sweepers, mid-sized 5000Series machines, Compacts and Compact Washers. The order also includes a significant number of Madvac PS300 pedestrian sweepers.
* LAPV magazine & SURVEYOR ' come and visit two of the UK's most popular local government titles ' on Stand M43!
* LDV [M5] - the Birmingham-based van maker - has announced its long awaited new van range, called Maxus. “This new van range can and will compete head on with the best in the business for years to come,” said LDV boss Allan Amey. The front wheel drive Maxus panel van range starts with two wheelbases and three roof heights and has a better payload than its predecessor and a lower cargo floor. Amey says the firm will add more models to the range over the next year, including chassis-cab and minibus variants.
* MANVIK HIRE [North Green: N48] - contract & spot hire specialists based in Walsall, Birmingham, Manvik Hire (a division of the Manvik Group of companies) operates a growing UK fleet of Dennis RCVs with Phoenix II bodies and other models. These are fitted with Betalifts and Ottolifts.
* MERCEDES-BENZ [North Green: N45] makes 3 vans for local authority use: - The Sprinter panel van with a cargo volume of up to 13.4 m2 and a maximum payload of 2.5t.
- The Mercedes-Benz Vario panel van is a proven performer in goods transportation across all industries. This robust and reliable vehicle comes in a choice of three wheelbases and two roof heights.
- The International Van of the Year - the Vito panel van - offers impressive load space (up to 6.49m2) wrapped up in a compact exterior. The wide sliding doors enable forklift loading from both sides. And so that your precious cargo doesn't move in transit, anchor points are integrated into the completely level floor.
* MITSUBISHI FUSO [N46] - provides heavy-duty vehicles such as the class 3 through class 5 cabover trucks such as the 2005 FE120, FE145, FE180 medium-duty trucks, plus the FG140 4-wheel-drive model. Mitsubishi Fuso developed the FE 145 Crew Cab, which will comfortably seat seven. Along with four full-access doors, rugged vinyl seating surfaces, and storage areas under the rear bench seat, the FE 145 Crew Cab is said to offer more leg room than any competitive cabover commercial truck. Visit: www.mitfuso.com
* NORTHERN MUNICIPAL SPARES LTD [M57] supplies parts and maintenance for municipal cleansing vehicles which it supplies under contract to local authorities. NMS's current models have many new and improved features including new and improved cab design and switch layout, larger windscreen and side windows for better all round visibility and also an adjustable steering.
Salford City Council initially awarded a three-year roadsweeping contract to NMS in 2001 but signed a two-year extension agreement which involved the replacement of all roadsweeping equipment. As a consequence, NMS placed its an order for 16 C50 Compact road sweepers from Johnston Sweepers. More information? Visit: www.northern-municipalspares.com
* OVERTON UK [M49] makes the SP-125 which collects wet or dry street litter, cans, broken glass and bottles through its 125mm suction hose directly into a standard 240 litre wheeled bin. Emptying the bin is simple and, should bin lifting or bin collection be impossible, an optional black plastic bag can be used. The self-propelled SP-125 vacuum litter collector is powered by a 5.5HP Honda engine, making the the machine especially quiet in operation.
* PCM FLUID POWER LTD [M18] has provided hydraulic equipment and service to the road transport industry since 1970, specialising in supporting fleet operators and fleet service providers with both quality direct replacement units and new fitment packages at extremely competitive prices. PCM has provided hydraulic equipment and service to the road transport industry since 1970, specialising in supporting fleet operators and fleet service providers with both quality direct replacement units and new fitment packages at extremely competitive prices, says the company.
* PEAK SEPARATION EQUIPMENT LTD [S1] will be exhibiting a range of equipment used in waste separation. An important development in non-ferrous waste separation is the the Minotaur, designed specifically for urban waste.
* PM ONBOARD LTD [North Green: N12] will unveil a range of high-density polyethylene two-and-four wheeled bin containers, designed especially to meet individual customers' specifications. PM is set to become a major player in the supply of wheeled bin containers. The key benefit for customer centres around PM's new injection moulding processes, which will be able to turn out the bins in very low quantities and in any colour specified.
With its extensive range of dedicated on-board weighing equipment and high accurate wheeled bin container weighing and identification system, the Binweigh, PM is now firmly established as one of Europe's leading suppliers to the waste management and recycling industry. Visit: www.pmonboard.com.
* RATCLIFF [M46] has been a UK market leader for over 40 years, and is renowned for innovative taillift design. This year the company launches new additions to its light van, column and cantilever ranges to meet current market requirements.
The Ratcliff 24-365 agent network offers all tail lift users comprehensive service backup, including statutory thorough examinations as required by LOLER.
The latest addition to the 500kg Flexi-Lift range is the Tip-Over model with an aluminium folding platform and galvanised frame specifically designed for the 3.5 tonne tipper market. For further information please contact Sally Gething - direct phone - 01707 382800, email: email@example.com
* RED FORGE [North Green: N25] - the specialist supplier of on-board weighing systems is best known for its new Delta On-board Weighing System designed by weighing experts Welvaarts the recognised European experts in the field of vehicle weighing. More info? Visit: www.redforge.co.uk
* RENAULT TRUCKS UK LTD [North Green: N31] is best known in local authority circles for its Renault Mascott 130.65 crew cab chassis with refuse body and the Kerax 6x4 tractor unit designed for parkland and amenity use.
From light commercials to international haulage, Renault Trucks is about solutions that find an exact match for the needs of all transport businesses, no matter how complex or varied. With one of the most comprehensive commercial vehicle ranges available, spanning 2.8 to 44 tonnes, Renault Trucks offers some of the most innovative, productive and efficient commercial vehicles ever. www.renault-trucks.co.uk
* SCANIA (GREAT BRITAIN) LTD [N2] supplies a host of heavy duty vehicles for local authority use. Margate-based waste disposal and recycling operator, Thanet Waste Services, recently introduced a double-drive Scania R 500 tractor unit into service for use on its landfill and plant-moving operations. The company has also taken an 18-tonne gross vehicle weight Scania P 230 four-wheel rigid for its skiploader fleet. Both vehicles have been supplied by Scania (Great Britain) Limited's Tilmanstone depot. More information: www.scania.co.uk
* SCARAB SWEEPERS [Middle Green M36] will be showing a line-up of both truck-mounted and urban precinct sweepers. This will include the Scarab Magnum Plus heavy-duty suction road sweeper, mounted on a Mercedes Benz 1823 chassis with stainless steel body. Also on show will be the Scarab Merlin Series, available with either hydrostatic or unidrive for chassis from 7.5t to 12t GVW. Also forming a key part of Scarab's display, will be the Scarab Minor VM Hydrostatic, Scarab Monic with overdrive and Scarab Mistral, its auxiliary engines truck-mounted sweeper.
* SCHMIDT UK LTD [Middle Green: M12] provides an extensive range of products like the Swingo, Europe's most popular compact sweeper, the SK650 truck mounted compact sweeper, the AS900 dedicated airfield runway sweeper, and one of the wide range of winter maintenance products.
Managed from Peterborough and Glasgow, Schmidt's parts and service depots serve the entire UK as well as supporting a network of over 30 customer service engineers with fully equipped vehicles carrying an extensive range of parts. Requests for the attendance of a customer service engineer often receive a response within the hour and the majority are satisfied within 24 hours.
* SPECIALIST FLEET SERVICES LTD [North Green: N1] - SFS's Russell Markstein told LAPV: “Established in 1992 as a joint venture between Five Arrows Leasing Group and Serco Limited, trading under the name Serco Fleet Services, SFS quickly established itself as one of the leading contract hire companies in the municipal market. In July 2002, FALG acquired Serco's shareholding in the business, following which the company changed its name to Specialist Fleet Services Limited. SFS prides itself on supporting a council's core contracts together with its in-house workshops and currently has contracts with a wide range of councils in England, Scotland and Wales.” Visit www.sfs.co.uk
* STERTIL UK [Middle Green: Stand M27] is the manufacturer and supplier of a wide range of innovative products for the vehicle lifting sector. Stertil UK also has the sole UK franchise for the sales & service of OMER scissor and parallelogram lifts. Products include a range of electro-hydraulic lifting equipment including mobile column lifts, 4-post lifts and parallelogram lifts along with associated equipment, such as jacking beams, scissor lift tables and transmission jacks.
* SWEEPWISE MUNICIPAL SERVICES [Middle Green M4] was formed in 1990 by John Tattersall and combines many years' experience with compact sweeper Hire, Service and Parts. “We offer a cost-effective alternative to the original equipment manufactures. Since our inception we have expanded and diversified to meet our customers needs and now offer a range of services not just with compact sweepers but also green-waste shredding machines, specialist equipment and weed control equipment,” explained a company spokesman.
* TERBERG-MATEC [North Green: N23] is now firmly established as one of the UK's leading names in the waste handling and recycling markets. It supplies Front line domestic wheel bin systems like the TCA-DEL High & Low Level Split Automatics, the Trojan Bar Lift designed to be fitted to a Refuse Toploader 16-28 and 1100, the Retrofit TZB TZS, Demount Toploader Skip and Demount Toploader Hook or Cable.
* TIPMASTER [North Green: N33] specialises in customising vehicles. Past examples have included a Nissan Cabstar E95 with Tipmaster composite body and underfloor tipping gear; a Mitsubishi Canter 75 fitted with heavy-duty all steel body and front end PTO; a Citroen Relay mwb with composite body and Tipmaster underfloor tipping gear and removable mesh cage built to a typical council specification; and a Ford Transit 300 swb factory dropside with Tommy Lift 500 kg capacity tail lift and a Swift Lift 300 kg capacity crane.
* TRANSLINC [North Green: N27] - supplying close to 3,000 vehicles on Contract Hire to UK Local Authorities across a wide spectrum, Lincoln-based TransLinc is able to deliver tailored solutions to the public sector ranging from panel vans and tippers through to skip loaders, sweepers, RCVs and grounds maintenance equipment.
* TRIO GROUP SALES [Middle Green: M8] offers a 'complete and flexible approach to waste management vehicle acquisition'. A company spokesman told LAPV: “Rent or buy. Whether a local authority wants to purchase or hire - either short-term, long-term or with an all-inclusive contract hire agreement - we can offer a package individually tailored to suit.”
* VACU-LUG TYRES LTD [North Green: N28] offers complete, managed tyre systems across all user sectors, incorporating innovative retreads and new tyre fitments. For details on applications and tyre system requirements, either speak to the stand executives or visit www.vaculug.com for more information.
* VISION TECHNIQUES (GROUP) PLC [North Green: N57] will be displaying systems used by the waste sector to improve safety. It provides rear vision systems with modular design features. Vehicles can be fitted with a selection of monitors, both CRT and flat screen, cameras from standard to infra-red and colour, and most importantly through a range of prices from budget to high cost.
* VOLVO TRUCK & BUS VOLVO [N41] says three local authority operators in Santiago, Chile, have just placed a joint order for 1,667 buses, making it the single largest-ever order for Volvo Buses. The new buses, including 1,157 articulated units will run in Santiago's new public transportation system and be built at Volvo Buses' plant in Curitiba, Brazil while the company's plant in Borås, Sweden will handle production of the 510 Volvo rigid buses. Three different Brazilian firms will make the bodies, with deliveries starting in June this year and running to February 2006. Volvo is also the manufacturer of the FH and FM ranges, featuring the I-Shift gear changing system. Volvo also produces the Dynafleet and Transport Information Systems.
* WESTCON EQUIPMENT (UK) LTD [North Green: N49] supplies equipment to the UK composting and wood recycling industry, including the well-known JENZ range of shredding and trommel screening equipment used on major composting sites and wood recycling plants in the UK. Westcon also supplies the 'Sandberger' range of windrow turners and the 'FORUS' range of Waste crushers for use on mixed waste and wood applications.
* WHALE TANKERS [N65] makes a range of multi purpose tankers with high pressure jetting equipment as well as vacuum capability, two of the three new high volume Whale JetVacs - both on Volvo FL E 18 tonne 4x2 chassis - have just been delivered. A third JetVac - on a three axle 26 tonne Foden chassis - is due to enter service in June 2005. Whale continues to be the supplier of choice for Wakefield based Civil Engineering and Utility Services company Peter Duffy Limited, who are in the process of taking delivery of three new high specification Whale JetVacs for their DrainsAid drainage services operations, two of which are destined for operations in Wales.
* ZOELLER [N30] will be showing its high level lifters such as the DELTA, the ROTARY and the OMEGA. The latter has been developed to be “bolt on /Bolt off” so that the user may exchange a damaged unit quickly thus increasing vehicle utilisation. The unit remains as robust as the current 249P but additional features have been added; i.e. the larger fold-down door to protect the unit from collision damage and the unit is also semi-automatic to assist in the productivity of the vehicle.